Greek Feta

Greek Feta

Feta is a beautiful example of the logical nature of the seasons and cheese making.  Try making feta in the heat of the summer – during that couple days of curing before it’s dunked in the brine, just watch those fuzzy molds multiply before your eyes! Ugh!  Those are not the kind of molds you want – and sure, you can clean them off with vinegar, but it’s just counter-intuitive to go through all of that, when you can wait until that crisp fall and early winter weather arrives and make your feta as cheese makers in past centuries did, following the natural cycle of the seasons and preservation.

There are so many different “authentic” fetas – that definition can change from person to person, from nationality to nationality.  I am going to crudely lump them into two types and loosely label them with a decent approximation of an appropriate name. There is the Greek feta, which is firmer and crumbly, with a lower moisture content, and the French feta, which is softer and creamy with more moisture.  Both have their merits – Greek feta in a salad or over pizza, French feta in spreads or sliced over mushrooms.  I tend to make more Greek feta as we use it more.

This is the recipe for the drier, crumbly style of feta.  Creamy feta recipe here.

2-3 gallons goat milk

¼ tsp MM100 culture or ¼ cup buttermilk

1 tsp liquid rennet dissolved in ¼ cup water

¼ to ½ tsp lipase dissolved in ¼ cup water

Warm the milk to 86 deg, then add the culture and lipase, stirring gently.

Set your timer for 1 hour to ripen at 86 deg.

After ripening for 1 hour, add the rennet/water, stirring gently in an up and down motion.

Wait 30 – 40 minutes, then check for your clean break.

Cut the curds into ½-inch cubes and let them rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

Maintaining the temp at ~86 deg, stir/cook the curds gently off and on for 45 minutes, breaking the longer pieces into ½ inch sections and breaking up clumps that try to cook together.

Set a butter muslin-lined colander over a large pot or sanitized bucket.  Pour the curds into the colander and tie the bag of curds up to drain.

After 3 to 6 hours, take the cheese down and turn it upside down in the cheesecloth.  This will give you a smoother edge around the cheese, which makes for a nicer appearance and is also better for resisting fuzzy mold growth during the drying period.

Allow the cheese to continue draining for about 24 to 30 hours.

After at least 24 hours, take the cheese down and slice it into chunks.  (I recommend a minimum of 3 X 3 inch chunks.  To keep saltiness down, larger is better, provided you can fit it through the top of your jar.  Also, smaller pieces can fit more into a smaller space, so that is another thing to consider if enough space in the jar is an issue.)

Sprinkle all sides of the cheese blocks with non-iodized salt and place them in a container that you can loosely cover.

Below is one of my favorite toughening-up locations – a pass-through cabinet.  The pan is covered loosely with cheesecloth.


Place the container in a dark location at room temperature for 2 to 3 days, checking in daily to re-salt.  If any fuzzy mold growth has begun, wash this off with water and re-salt.  You may pour off the whey that is sweated out during this time if you’d like tho it is not necessary.

Now put the feta blocks into a large container (I like gallon pickle jars or ½ gallon mason jars) and pour whey brine over them.

Age at least 2 weeks – but the feta can keep indefinitely in the refrigerated brine!  If any mold forms on the surface of cheese protruding from the brine, or the brine itself, simply remove it.  The feta is still fine.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *